Even though hurricane season in Florida is drawing to a close, the damage to property owners that was inflicted by Hurricane Ian will last for months, or possibly even years, to come for many property owners – including those who own residential rental real estate.
The good news is that there are resources available that could help to guide you where you need to go, based on the damage to your rental property(ies) and the type of assistance you may need. These include:
- Florida Disaster – https://FloridaDisaster.org – Florida Disaster is a division of the Florida Division of Emergency Management. This site provides emergency information, legislative updates, a list of disaster recovery centers, and even a step-by-step checklist for Floridians to recover following Hurricane Ian.
- Florida Housing Search – https://floridahousingsearch.org – Florida Housing is a free state resource for both renters and property managers. It features search options that can help you find available housing in case of significant damage that makes your property(ies) uninhabitable for your renters.
- The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) – https://femalgov/disaster/hurricane-ian – The Federal Emergency Management Agency, or FEMA, has set up a specific web page that offers helpful information about hurricane Ian recovery. Renters who are facing financial difficulties may also be able to apply to FEMA for assistance.
There are also several resources available to contact to ask more in-depth questions regarding how you should proceed, including the:
- State Assistance Information Line – (800) 342-3557
- Disaster Distress Helpline – (800) 985-5990
- Disaster Legal Hotline – (866) 550-2929
If your residential real estate investment(s) are in Orlando or the surrounding Central Florida, and you would like more information about handing over many of your time-consuming tasks – including disaster recovery – to an experienced local property management team, call Central Florida Property Management at (407) 429-4834 or you can send us an email through our secure online contact form by going to https://cflpropmanagement.com/contact-us/. We’re here to help!